Time(s) - 6:00 am - 10:00 pm
Atlanta Photography Group
Alternative Process and the Handmade Photograph
APG is excited to partner with Adam Finkelston and The Hand Magazine for our first exhibition dedicated to alternative process and the handmade photograph. Whether traditional imagery rendered as a platinum/palladium print, or digital images that have been cut and collaged together, we are looking for work that has been touched by the hand of the artist.
In honor of our first alternative process exhibition, one artist from the exhibition will be chosen for a 2 page feature spread in The Hand Magazine, plus a one year subscription to The Hand Magazine. Two additional artists from the exhibition will be chosen to receive a one year subscription to The Hand Magazine. It should be noted that magazine subscriptions include the ability to submit to any of the magazine’s 4 calls for entry during the year the subscription is valid.
THE HAND MAGAZINE
Founded in April 2013, The Hand Magazine is based in Prairie Village, Kansas. It is owned, published and co-edited by Adam Finkelston with James Meara as lead designer and co-editor. Together, Finkelston and Meara curate each quarterly issue from submitted images from around the world. The Hand Magazine is dedicated to the support and exhibition of hand-made artworks using mechanical or reproduction-based processes. “The Hand” is about connecting artists, serving as a resource for artists and enthusiasts, and building bridges across creative communities.
Founder, Editor, Curator
The Hand Magazine, Prairie Village, KS
Adam Finkelston is an artist, educator, and publisher based in Prairie Village, Kansas. He is the owner and publisher of, The Hand Magazine: A Magazine for Reproduction-based Arts, through which he has curated and juried numerous exhibitions. Mr. Finkelston’s work encompasses both printmaking and photography. Mr. Finkelston’s work has been exhibited in several solo and group exhibitions and is included in publications on alternative process photography by notable authors, Jill Enfield and Christina Z. Anderson. Mr. Finkelston has taught art at various levels for since 2004. Currently, he is a teacher and visual arts department coordinator at Shawnee Mission East High School in Prairie Village, KS and a guest lecturer in printmaking at the Kansas City Art Institute.
Website – thehandmagazine.net
Instagram – @thehandmagazine
CFE Dates: January 15, – February 15, 2023
Early Submissions: January 15- 31, 2022
2 works: $35, 4 works: $50, 6 works: $60, 8 works: $75
Regular Submissions: February 1 – 15, 2023
2 images: $40, 4 images: $60, 6 images: $70, 8 images: $85
2 images: $30, 4 images: $45, 6 images: $55, 8 images: $70
Deadline For All Submisions: February 15, 2023, 10PM
Notifications of Selections: On or about February 21, 2023
Deadline to Delivery Artwork to the APG Gallery: March 1, 2023.
Exhibition Dates: March 6 – 17, 2023
Opening Reception: TBD
SUBMISSION FILE PREPARATION
(These Specifications are for Submission Uploads Only. Please see below for details on files to be printed for exhibition)
- The juror will be selecting the images from all entries.
- Export images as .jpg. Resize to 2100 px on the longest side.
- Rename files to the titles of each work exactly as you wish it to appear (example: My Great Photo.jpg) Your name will be automatically prepended to the file upon upload.
- Create a text file with your Personal Info (name, email, phone, website/social media), Artist Statement (500 words max), Bio (250 words max), and Image list (in this order: Title, Year piece was created, Print/Image Size (H x W), estimated Framed Size (H x W) Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc.), and save this file as a Word doc or PDF.
- Once you have paid the Entry Fee, you will receive an email with a link to upload your files
In order to submit your work you must be a current APG member. Join or Renew Now!
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact – gallery@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org
Early Submissions – January 15 – 31, 2023 at 10pm
Student Submissions – January 15 – February 15, 2023 at 10pm