Time(s) - 6:00 am - 10:00 pm
Atlanta Photography Group
Photo by Dale Niles
The Language of Color with Blue Mitchell,
Founder and Publisher, Diffusion Annual & One Twelve; Host and Producer, The Diffusion Tapes
The human eye can perceive millions of different colors. Now more than ever color is playing a central role in everyday communication, for cultural expression and social / personal communications. Color has it’s own language and colors are symbolic, carrying meaning to helps us to understand or express ourselves thru our imagery, whether bright, bold colors expressing joy, or dark, subdued tones expressing fragility or somberness.
For this CFE we аre interested in the ways we, as photographers, make meaning in our increasingly “Technicolor” world. Show us your best color images!
Ten images will be selected for awards* and will be installed as unframed prints in our Maloof Gallery. Thirty (30) additional images will be chosen and will also be on view in the gallery via video installation and on our website.
The Maloof Gallery, named after long-time APG patron’s Ted and Gloria Maloof, supports six hybrid (digital and on the wall) exhibitions per year, with award* recipients of those exhibitions having their work on view as physical prints, on the wall, in the new gallery space and all of the selected artist’s work on view via video installation in the same space.
The awards* will include, Grand Prize, First Place, Second Place, Third Place and six Honorable Mentions. All awards will be selected by our esteemed Juror. The total print size for selected awarded artwork will be limited to 22”x17” or less, but no framing or matting will be required. These prints will be installed using magnets. We can also recommend a local printing service, if that is needed.
*Please note that awards do not have any monetary value.
Founder and Publisher, Diffusion Annual & One Twelve
Host and Producer, The Diffusion Tapes
Blue Mitchell is an independent publisher, curator, educator, and photographer. Based in Portland, Oregon, he has been involved with many facets of photography in both corporate and fine art environments. After Mitchell received his BFA from Oregon College of Art & Craft in 2005 he founded One Twelve Publishing.
One Twelve Publishing is most notably known for its fine art photographic print annual Diffusion (Est. 2009), which focuses on artfully-crafted photo practices. One Twelve provides an extensive blog with articles, galleries, and special features. Mitchell also hosts and produces a podcast called the Diffusion Tapes where he and his co-host Micahel Kirchoff chat with artists, curators, and writers working in the field of fine art photography.
CFE Dates: March 7 – April 10
Early Submissions: March 7 – 23, 2023 at 10PM
2 works: $35, 4 works: $50, 6 works: $60, 8 works: $75
Regular Submissions: March 24, 2023 – April 10, 2023 at 10PM
2 images: $40, 4 images: $60, 6 images: $70, 8 images: $85
2 images: $30, 4 images: $45, 6 images: $55, 8 images: $70
Please not that submissions close on April 10 at 10PM.
ALL WORK MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10PM ON APRIL 10, 2023, OR THEY WILL NOT BE INCLUDED.
Deadline For All Submissions: April 10, 2023, 10PM
Notifications of Selections: On or about April 17, 2023
Selected Prints Due at the APG Gallery: May 5, 2023
Exhibition Dates: May 8 – June 8, 2023
Opening Reception: TBD
HYBRID EXHIBITION GUIDELINES
- The juror will be selecting award recipients and video exhibition images from all entries.
- Grand Prize, First Place, Second Place, Third Place and six Honorable Mentions will be installed as prints in the gallery. Please note that awards do not have any momentary value.
- 30 additional images will be chosen for viewing in the gallery via video installation.
- The total print size for selected awarded artwork will be limited to 22”x17” or less, but no framing or matting will be required. These prints will be installed using magnets. We can also recommend a local printing service, if that is needed.
- Images included in the video installation will need to adhere to the specifications listed in the submissions file preparation section below.
- Award recipients and video exhibition images will be displayed in an Exhibition Viewing Room on the APG website
SUBMISSION FILE PREPARATION
(These Specifications are for Submission Uploads Only. Please see below for details on files to be printed for exhibition)
- Export images as .jpg. Resize to 2100 px on the longest side.
- Rename files to the titles of each work exactly as you wish it to appear (example: My Great Photo.jpg) Your name will be automatically prepended to the file upon upload.
- Create a text file with your Personal Info (name, email, phone, website/social media), Artist Statement (500 words max), Bio (250 words max), and Image list (in this order: Title, Year piece was created, Print/Image Size (H x W), Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc.), and save this file as a Word doc or PDF.
- Once you have paid the Entry Fee, you will receive an email with a link to upload your files
In order to submit your work you must be a current APG member. Join or Renew Now!
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact – gallery@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org