Time(s) - 6:00 am - 10:00 pm
Atlanta Photography Group
Regular Submissions will close at 10pm on April 8, 2023
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE FULLY UPLOADED BY 10PM ON APRIL 8, 2023 OR THEY WILL NOT BE INCLUDED
The Atlanta Photography Group (APG) invites photographers worldwide to enter images using any photographic process for our upcoming, juried exhibition, Portfolio 2023. This exhibition features strong, cohesive bodies of work (8 or more images as a series).
Shana Lopes, PhD, is an Assistant Curator of Photography at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Ms. Lopes will select photographic works from up to eight artists for the exhibition, and two alternates. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is a modern and contemporary art museum located in San Francisco, California. A nonprofit organization, SFMOMA holds an internationally recognized collection of modern and contemporary art, and was the first museum on the West Coast devoted solely to 20th-century art.
All exhibiting artists will be eligible for the 2023 APG/ Museum Purchase Award of $3000, which is slated for placement into the High Museum’s permanent collection.
Shana Lopes, PhD.
Assistant Curator of Photography
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Shana Lopes, PhD, is an Assistant Curator of Photography at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. She has organized exhibitions on cyanotypes, the 1906 earthquake, Atget, Wright Morris, and Eikoh Hosoe. She is the co-curator of Constellations: Photographs in Dialogue, which pairs recent acquisitions with existing work from the collection, and A Living for Us All: Artists and the WPA. Most recently, she organized Sightlines: Photographs from the Collection, on view now. Over the past fourteen years, she has gained curatorial experience at the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson, Arizona, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
APG/Museum Purchase Award
One artist will be selected, from those chosen by the juror for the exhibition, to receive the 2023 APG/ Museum Purchase Award of $3000. Each year, a museum curator reviews the exhibition and selects works from one artist for the Museum’s permanent collection. APG purchases the work and donates the pieces to the museum. The Portfolio 2023 purchase award is slated for the High Museum of Art.
High Museum of Art
The High Museum of Art is home to the most significant photography program in the American Southeast. The Museum began acquiring photographs in the early 1970s, making it one of the earliest American art museums to commit to collecting the medium. Head Curator, Gregory Harris oversees the photography department, including related exhibitions and programs, as well as its collection of more than 7,000 works spanning the 1840s to the present. With strengths in American modernist and documentary traditions from the mid-20th century and a robust commitment to contemporary practice, the photography collection features a strong base of pictures related to the American South, which are situated within a global context that is both regionally relevant and internationally significant.
- Must be an APG member to enter. Join or renew now
- The entry must be a body of work consisting of 8 or more images with an Artist / Project Statement.
Timetable: (dates are tentative and subject to change)
- Accepting Entries: March 1 – April 8 2023 @10pm
- Judging: April 9, 2023 – May 1, 2023
- Photographic Artist Notification: On or about May 1, 2023
- Art Delivery Deadline: May 19, 2023
- Exhibition: May 22, 2023 – June 24, 2023
- Virtual Artist Talk / Opening Reception: (TBD)
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE UPLOADED AND FULLY COMPLETED BY 10PM (EST) ON APRIL 8, 2023, OR THEY WILL NOT BE INCLUDED FOR SUBMISSION.
Purchase Entry Fee
Early Entry: March 1 – March 15, 2023
– $75 for 10 images or $85 for 20 images
Regular Entry: March 16 – April 8, 2023
– $85 for 10 images or $95 for 20 images
Student Entry: March 1 – April 8, 2023
Must include Student ID & Current Class Schedule, to be eligible
– $55 for 10 images or $70 for 20 images
All entrants must be current members of APG.
If you are not a member, register to become an APG member, first. If you are uncertain, contact us at email@example.com.
*FILE UPLOAD LINK will be in your payment confirmation email.
**Entry fees are non-refundable.
READ ENTRY SPECIFICS BELOW
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact – gallery@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org
If you аre chosen, your artwork should be framed in black or white gallery/museum quality frames (other options will be considered, but must be approved by APG), they may be up to 40” on the longest side. WIRE HANGERS ONLY. SAW TOOTH HANGERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AND WILL BE SENT BACK.
Prepare Text File and Images:
- Entries not meeting the following criteria will be disqualified.
- Jpeg files only. No borders. No watermarks or names on the image.
- Entries of either 10 or 20 images depending on which you choose.
- The exhibition will include up to 8 images from each of the selected artists, no matter how many are entered.
- Size to 2100 px on the longest side. Larger files will be disqualified.
Individual files only, do not upload a folder or zip folder.
- Work that is chosen can be up to 40” on the longest side framed.
- Images must be between 150-300dpi
How to resize digital image files:
- Rename files to the title of the work exactly as you wish it to appear (Example: My Great Photo.jpg). Your name will be automatically prepended (added) to each file upon upload.
- File names should be letters and numbers only, please only use _ or – as symbols, do not use any other symbols in file names.
- Create a text file with your – Word doc or PDF only :
- Personal Info (name, email, phone, website/social media),
- Artist Statement (500 words max),
- Bio (250 words max), and
- Image list (in this order: Title, Year piece was created, Print/Image Size (H x W), estimated Framed Size (H x W) Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc),
- Save this file as a Word doc (.doc or.docx) or PDF, – .pages files are not accepted.
All submissions must be completed and uploaded by April 8, 2023 at 10PM EST
Submissions Open to APG Members Only – Join or Renew Now!