Time(s) - 12:00 am - 10:00 pm
Atlanta Photography Group
Photo: Gwen Julia
Documentary and Street Photography
The Atlanta Photography Group is excited to announce our next call for entry, Storytelling, which celebrates street and documentary photography of all styles with images that reflect a strong narrative. We are looking for images which are a combination of candid depictions of everyday life, shadows of the city streets, the abandonment of a country road, subtle moments of joy, humor, love, fear or anxiety. Think of work like that created by Diane Arbus, Bruce Davidson, Robert Frank, Josef Koudleka, Helen Levitt, Baldwin Lee, Roy DeCarava, Mary Ellen Mark, Daido Moriyama, Lee Friedlander, Lisette Model, Gordon Parks, and Harry Callahan.
Your story can be told with a single image or several images as a series.
We are excited to have Alyssa Coppelman, Art Researcher at the Oxford American as our esteemed juror.
Art Researcher, Oxford American
Alyssa Ortega Coppelman is an independent photo editor and photobook consultant based in Austin, Texas. She is Art Researcher for the Oxford American magazine; and Archival Researcher on the Emmy-nominated, PBS NewsHour series, Brief But Spectacular. Previously, she was Deputy Art Director at Harper’s Magazine.
Alyssa loves being a guest lecturer for undergraduate and graduate photography students, and teaching photo editing workshops. She advises photographers on how to get their work in front of editors, via email and Instagram.
Working with photographers, Alyssa edits and sequences photobooks, zines, and portfolios, and can provide oversight on design and editorial aspects of these projects, helping artists present their strongest work in the most cohesive way.
About Oxford American
The Oxford American is a nonprofit arts organization and national magazine dedicated to exploring the complexity and vitality of the American South through excellent writing, music, and visual art. Billed as “A Magazine of the South,” it has won four National Magazine Awards and other high honors since it began publication in 1992. The Oxford American is published in partnership with the University of Central Arkansas.
CFE Submissions: July 18–August 18
All dates and times are Eastern Time (ET)
All submissions must be made by August 18, 2023, 10PM ET
Early Submissions – July 18-July 25, 2023:
2 works: $35, 4 works: $50, 6 works: $60, 8 works: $75
Regular Submissions – July 26-August 12, 2023:
2 images: $40, 4 images: $60, 6 images: $70, 8 images: $85
Late Submissions – August 13-August 18, 2023:
2 images: $50, 4 images: $70, 6 images: $80, 8 images: $95
2 images: $30, 4 images: $45, 6 images: $55, 8 images: $70
Selected work can be up to 36” on the longest side framed for the exhibition. Only works with wire for hanging will be accepted. If you are shipping work to APG, do not ship glass. Please use plexi only.
Images which have been shown in either the Main or Maloof Galleries within the last 3 years are not eligible.
Deadline For Entries: August 18, 2023, 10pm ET
Notification of Accepted Work: On or about August 29, 2023
Delivery of Work: September 16, 2023 at 4pm ET.
Show Dates: September 19 – October 22, 2023
Reception & Juror Talk: TBD
Pick-Up: Works must be picked up by November 4, 2023 at 4pm ET. Please provide return label if you аre shipping your work.
Open to APG members – Join or Renew Now!
- The juror will be selecting the images from all entries.
- Export images as .jpg. Resize to 2100 px on the longest side.
- Rename files to the titles of each work exactly as you wish it to appear (example: My Great Photo.jpg) Your name will be automatically prepended to the file upon upload.
- Create a text file with your Personal Info (name, email, phone, website/social media), Artist Statement (500 words max), Bio (250 words max), and Image list (in this order: Title, Year piece was created, Print/Image Size (H x W), estimated Framed Size (H x W) Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc.), and save this file as a Word doc or PDF.
- Once you have paid the Entry Fee, you will receive an email with a link to upload your files
In order to submit your work you must be a current APG member. Join or Renew Now!
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- The link to upload your files will be sent to you in your payment confirmation email. You will receive two emails after you pay. One will have the upload link. If you don’t receive two emails, check your spam folder.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact – gallery@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org