Time(s) - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED
to FRIDAY FEBRUARY 11, 2022 at 6PM
APG is pleased to announce Jennifer Murray, Executive Director of Filter Photo, as the guest reviewer for our February 2022 Online Critique. Join us for a rare opportunity to have your work critiqued by Jennifer Murray, a frequent curator, portfolio reviewer, and juror at photography events across the US including Photolucida’s Critical Mass, LensCulture, FotoFest, SPE, and Filter Photo.
APG Critiques offer members the opportunity to get valuable feedback on their work from industry professionals. The critique process also offers participants the opportunity to listen and learn by observing the critiques of other member photographers’ work. The critique sessions are structured to allow 10 photographers to present their work, while up to 80 viewers attend the critiques via ZOOM. By including both presenters and observers, APG Critiques are meant to function as a kind of Master Class in photographic literacy, allowing all participants to learn more about the art of photography by seeing their work AND the work of their peers through the eyes of industry professionals.
Reviewer’s Bio – Jennifer Murray, Executive Director, Filter Photo, Chicago
Jennifer Murray is an artist, educator, and curator based in Chicago. She is the executive director of Filter Photo, a nonprofit festival, exhibition, and educational space. Her research and professional practice spans photography-based visual projects and curatorial projects. Her visual work utilizes both original images and photographic archives as she examines the cultural relationships and histories of objects. Recent curatorial projects include Furtive at the Chicago Cultural Center. Murray is a frequent curator, portfolio reviewer, and juror at photography events across the US including Photolucida’s Critical Mass, LensCulture, FotoFest, SPE, and Filter Photo. She received an MFA in photography from Columbia College Chicago. She teaches at Loyola University Chicago and is an independent artists’ consultant.
Submit, Listen & Learn Option – APG Critique Submissions FREE, and are open to APG members only.
Listen & Learn Option – Not ready to show work? Not a problem, observing is just as valuable. Register to be an observing participant and glean invaluable knowledge from industry experts that can be applied to your own work. The Listen and Learn Option is free to members, and non-members can register for a $10 fee.
Open to APG members – Join or Renew Now!
Online critique is limited to 10 photography reviews, and up to 80 observing participants. Critiques are moderated and timed by an APG Staff member, so everyone gets equal consideration. The APG moderator will also be responsible for the technical aspects of presenting selected portfolios via Zoom. This will allow participants the freedom to focus on their images and the reviewer’s comments.
At the end of the review there will be a Q&A, open to everyone, where all guests can ask questions based on that evening’s review.
Because of the number of submissions we receive, critique submissions are juried by the reviewer. Reviewers will pick the photographers they feel will benefit most from the comments they have to offer. They will also be picking work that they feel will be best suited to help observing participants learn from the critique process.
If you would like to present work, please keep in mind that the individual critiques are short, only 10-12 minutes – depending on the number of presenters. However, 10 minutes from an experienced reviewer can provide invaluable insight into a body of work. In order to get the most out of the time you have, we recommend submitting an artist statement along with your images, and to come prepared with one or two questions/objectives that you can share with the reviewer. This will allow the reviewer to address your individual needs in addition to giving their general comments about your body of work.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED for ALL levels of participation in Critique sessions.
Submission Reg: Jan 20-Feb 11, 2022 (MEMBERS ONLY) – Free
Listen & Lean Reg: Jan 20-Feb13, 2022 – Members Free, Non-Members $10
Notification: Sunday, Feb 13, 2022
Event: Tuesday Feb 15, 2022 from 7:00-9:00 pm EST
Location: Online – Zoom link will be sent Tuesday morning Feb 15, 2022
Please note the following deadlines.
- Deadline to upload work and register for presenting work – Friday, February 11 @ 6:00PM EST (EXTENDED DEADLINE)
- Notifications will be sent out on the evening of Sunday, February 13th to let registrants know if their work has been chosen.
- Deadline for participants NOT presenting work is Sunday, February 13th @11:00pm
- On the day of the event, a ZOOM meeting link will be sent to all who registered.
If you’d like to present your work, please read the guidelines and register below. In order to present work you must be a current APG member. Join or Renew Now!
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- The reviewer, Jennifer Murray, will be selecting 10 photographers from all entries.
Prepare Text File and Images
- Choose up to 8 images that you would like to submit for review.
- Export/Save images as .jpg. Resize to 2100 pixels on the longest side. Imaging Sizing Information
- Rename files — with YOUR NAME and a SEQUENCING NUMBER (0 + #1-8) to indicate the order you would like to see them viewed in the critique. (Example: JanePhotographer_01.jpg).
- OPTIONAL – Create a WORD document or PDF with your: Personal Info (name website/social media), a short Artist Statement (250 words max), and an Image list that includes the Image Number, Title, and Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc.). NOTE: DO NOT send PAGES files.
- Once you have paid the entry fee you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the upload form that will allow you to upload your work.
- Upload work requires (1) you be a current APG Member and (2) be logged into the APG Web site (Login – Atlanta Photography Group) to access the upload form.
- After you successfully upload your files, you will see a message in your web browser saying “Thanks for your Submission”.
- All payment & entries must be completed ONLINE.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact APG Programs Director, Nicole LeCorgne – programs@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org
Submit, Listen and Learn Entries open to Members Only – Jan 20-Feb 9 @11pm
Registration to Listen & Learn Only is open to ALL – Jan 20-Feb 13 @11pm