Time(s) - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
APG is pleased to announce Jessica Burko, Creative Director at the Photographic Resource Center, Cambridge, MA, as the guest reviewer for our May 2022 Online Critique. Join us for a rare opportunity to have your work critiqued by Jessica Burko, an independent curator, arts director, educator, and working photographic artist who has partnered with organizations such as ArtsWorcester, Worcester, MA, Mass MoCA’s Assets for Artists Program, North Adams, MA, and the South Shore Arts Center, Cohasset, MA.
APG Critiques are a unique part of our member benefits program. They not only offer members the opportunity to get valuable feedback on their work from industry professionals. The critique process also offers participants the opportunity to observe and learn from other member photographer’s work. The critique sessions are structured to allow 12 photographers to present their work, while up to 80 viewers attend the critiques via ZOOM. By including both presenters and observers, APG Critiques are meant to function as a kind of Master Class in photographic literacy, allowing all participants to learn more about the art of photography by seeing their work AND the work of their peers through the eyes of industry professionals.
Jessica Burko, Creative Director at the Photographic Resource Center
Jessica Burko is the Creative Director at the Photographic Resource Center, Cambridge, MA. She is also an independent curator with professional background as Gallery Director at Stonehill College, Executive Director of the artist collective, Boston Handmade, and Marketing Director at Kingston Gallery.
Additionally, Burko has been an exhibiting artist since 1985. She has displayed work in solo and group shows throughout the United States, including Quiet/Loud at the ArtProv Gallery in Providence, RI, the Shelter In Place Gallery, Boston, MA, and the 5 Years of Aspect Initiative at the Danforth Museum, Framingham, MA. Her work has been reviewed by such publications as the Boston Globe, Art New England, and Artscope Magazine.
Burko’s work in the arts community allows her to foster and strengthen connections between working artrepreneurs. She supports artists in achieving their creative and professional goals through lectures, workshops, and partnerships with organizations such as ArtsWorcester, Worcester, MA, Mass MoCA’s Assets for Artists Program, North Adams, MA, and the South Shore Arts Center, Cohasset, MA.
Burko is originally from Philadelphia and currently lives in Boston, Massachusetts. She holds a BFA in Fine Art Photography from Rhode Island School of Design, and an MFA in Imaging Arts and Science from Rochester Institute of Technology.
Online critique is limited to 10 photography reviews, and up to 80 observing participants. Critiques are moderated and timed by an APG Staff member, so everyone gets equal consideration. An APG moderator will also be responsible for the technical aspects of presenting selected portfolios via Zoom. This will allow participants the freedom to focus on their images and the reviewer’s comments.
At the end of the review there will be a Q&A, open to everyone, where all guests can ask questions based on that evening’s review.
APG Online Critiques have two registration options Submit, Listen and Learn or Listen & Learn.
Submit, Listen & Learn Option – is for members interested in submitting work for critique. APG Critique Submissions FREE, and are open to APG members only.
Critique is limited to 10 member portfolios of 10 images each. Submissions are juried by the reviewer. Reviewers are asked to choose the photographers they feel will benefit most from the comments they have to offer, and to choose work that they feel will be best suited to help observing participants learn from the critique process.
If you would like to present work, please keep in mind that the individual critiques are short, only 10-12 minutes – depending on the number of presenters. However, 10 minutes from an experienced reviewer can provide invaluable insight into a body of work. In order to get the most out of the time you have, we recommend submitting an artist statement along with your images, and to come prepared with one or two questions/objectives that you can share with the reviewer. This will allow the reviewer to address your individual needs in addition to giving their general comments about your body of work.
Listen & Learn Option – Not ready to show work? Not a problem, observing Critique is just as valuable. Register to be an observing participant and glean invaluable knowledge from industry experts that can be applied to your own work. The Listen and Learn Option is free to members, and non-members can register for a $10 fee.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED for ALL levels of participation in Critique sessions.
Open to APG members – Join or Renew Now!
Submission Reg: March 30-May 6, 2022 (MEMBERS ONLY) – Free
Listen & Lean Reg: March 30-May 10, 2022 – Members Free, Non-Members $10
Notification: Monday, May 9, 2022
Event: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 from 7:00-9:00 pm EST
Location: Online – Zoom link will be sent Wednesday morning May 11, 2022
Please note the following deadlines.
- Deadline to upload work and register for presenting work – Friday, Friday, May 6th @ 6:00PM EST
- Notifications will be sent out on the evening of Monday, May 9th to let registrants know if their work has been chosen.
- Deadline for participants NOT presenting work is Tuesday, May 10th @11:00pm
- On the day of the event, a ZOOM meeting link will be sent to all who registered.
If you’d like to present your work, please read the guidelines and register below. In order to present work you must be a current APG member. Join or Renew Now!
All entries must be completed ONLINE. Do NOT email any image files
- Complete Online Registration & Payment
- Upload Files to the Dropbox link found in the payment confirmation.
- Once you get this link, you must be logged into the website in order to successfully upload your work.
- The reviewer will be selecting 10 photographers from all entries.
Prepare Text File and Images
- Choose up to 10 images that you would like to submit for review.
- Export/Save images as .jpg. Resize to 2100 pixels on the longest side. Imaging Sizing Information
- Rename files — with YOUR NAME and a SEQUENCING NUMBER (0 + #1-10) to indicate the order you would like to see them viewed in the critique. (Example: JanePhotographer_01.jpg).
- OPTIONAL – Create a WORD document or PDF with your: Personal Info (name website/social media), a short Artist Statement (250 words max), and an Image list that includes the Image Number, Title, and Medium (archival pigment print, inkjet print, silver gelatin, cyanotype, etc.). NOTE: DO NOT send PAGES files.
- Once you have completed your registration, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the upload form that will allow you to upload your work.
- Upload work requires (1) you be a current APG Member and (2) be logged into the APG Web site (Login – Atlanta Photography Group) to access the upload form.
- After you successfully upload your files, you will see a message in your web browser saying “Thanks for your Submission”.
- All payment & entries must be completed ONLINE.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact APG Programs Director, Nicole LeCorgne – programs@AtlantaPhotographyGroup.org
Submit, Listen and Learn Entries are open to Members Only – March 30-May 6 @11pm
Registration to Listen & Learn Only is open to ALL – March 30-May 10 @11pm